Friday, September 12, 2008

Sweet Relief

I have been trying without success to get back into night photography using the new camera.
Something would ruin my plans every time over the past month, and I was almost impossible to live with due to the resulting crankiness.
Until tonight.

I figured Hemisfair Park would be a good place to get my night skills back--it's familiar, target-rich and pretty.

Learned a critical bit of operational knowledge--my Alpha won't focus unless I'm looking through the viewfinder (there's a tiny proximity sensor there), or I can turn "Eye-Start AF" off in the menus.
Or put my hand against the eyepiece.

The Alpha is almost as easy to use at night as my F717 was. I think the results are better.
Prints should be better, too. (Still haven't shot anything I would put in a gallery show, so nothing has been printed yet.)

Seriously, it feels like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders.
I only made 22 exposures tonight, with these four being my favorites.
Now I have the confidence I needed in my new system, and can relax and shoot with no worries next time.
Too bad the damned hurricane cancelled this weekend's trip to Corpus Christi and lost me a bunch of money.
Sea Monkeys @ Oasis Saturday Night! 60% of the Hitmen for your listening pleasure.

2 comments:

Albatross said...

Nice shots. I don't think I've ever seen those fountains at night. They look nice during the day, but your pictures make me want to visit them after the sun goes down.

KeithAlanK said...

Bring a tripod!