Monday, December 12, 2005

Black Vultures

There's a strange thing about me.
When I really want to find something, I usually do.
Ever since my early teens, when I state my desired result
with a clear mind and heart I manage to find it within
an hour or two. And I never get lost no matter how far
from home I may be.
These days I apply this gift to photography, by just
getting in my car and driving, taking unexpected turns
whenever I get 'the feeling'.
It doesn't work 100% of the time, but I get lucky this
way often enough to keep on doing it.
Yesterday it paid off again. After fifteen minutes of
listening to the voice in my head I came around a bend
in the road and was presented with this.

There were around thirty of these Black Vultures in a couple
of trees, so I grabbed my camera and bagged some shots.
I don't recall ever seeing any of this species before, so they
may have been migrating together but that's just a guess.
The Turkey Vulture is the common carrion-eater around here.

As a bonus, while shooting these photos an 8-point buck stepped
out into the road maybe 20 feet from me, but I see deer too
often to bother taking another random picture. I've spotted a dozen
on five occasions this weekend alone. It's the rutting season
so they're brave and stupid.
Just like frat boys.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Black Vulture is actually quite common around here. Being a biker, I often have second row seating when the vultures are having a roadside banquet.

Bro ZZakk

Keith Alan K said...

Thanks for the info.
That's what the page I linked-to said, but I just don't recall ever noticing buzzards without the naked pink heads of the turkey-type.
Then again, I never noticed a tree with this many scavengers in it either, but the odds are I have driven past them before.