Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Rivets (And A Weld)

Rivets are a favorite subject of mine due to their ability to cast tiny shadows as well as display "primitive" technology from the first half of the 20th century. This is an extreme crop from a zoomed-in version of the AC-47 Spooky Gunship photo seen here recently.


Photographer Section:
This is the first time I've tried a crop that threw away the majority of a file, and am very impressed with the Sony Alpha300's detail and resolution.
With my old F717, an edit like this wouldn't have been as crisp and textured by a long shot.
This would be even more startling when you consider I was shooting handheld at just over 200mm-e, but then I received help from in-body IS and a fast 1/1250 shutter.
Iso 200 helped rather than hurt.

The new camera endears itself to me a little more every time I use it, even with the 2 budget lenses it came bundled with.
The widely extended range of apertures, shutter speeds and iso ratings are all positives with no apparent weaknesses in their ranges so far.
But I'll keep pushing the envelope until it disappoints, then back off and add light just like in the old days.

No comments: