Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Not Guilty!

I mean, I don't feel guilty about not updating this blog in over two weeks.
Life happens...and sometimes you don't get a picture or a story out of it.

Introducing the newest member of the family, Kristin Brown.
My new "niece" was born on Thursday July 15th.
Mom, Dad, and Baby are all doing fine.

As her "crazy uncle" I'll be introducing her to Nutella, guitars, cameras, Southern Comfort, and explosives.
I'm already trying to figure out a way we can all get rich off those long toes she's sporting.



In other news...
I have been saving my pennies to buy this bass, the 4-string version of my beloved 8-string monster.
I like the idea of using the same electronics and materials and shape and almost everything, so that when I get the sound dialed-in there isn't a drastic change when I switch instruments. As I soundman I battle this all the time, so I'm trying to make things easier for me and anyone who has to mix me.

But then...
We went looking for all of the little obscure guitar shops around town this past weekend, and this was the first bass I got my hands on.
Red strings notwithstanding, I thought it was kinda sexy.
But when I played it...how can I word this?...there was movement in my pants.

Now, I have mixed hundreds of electric basses over the years, and tried most of them for a few minutes.
Played a few hundred more in stores.
Owned my share, both new and vintage.
My first bass was a 1962 Fender Precision that I sold for a 500% profit 3 years later.
(Had I kept it until now it would have been a 5000% profit, but times were tough).
What I'm getting at is that I know when I'm holding an instrument that has magic.
My guitar had magic when I played it in the store, and I still feel blessed that it was under the Christmas tree that year.

Well, after three notes on the bass above and I just knew that the stars were aligned when 3 seeds sprouted on 3 different continents, and that the angels above guided the saw blades at the lumber yards.
Every monkey and bird that sat in those branches could suddenly talk, and they only said the nicest things.
I know for damn sure that it wasn't assembled on a Monday or Friday.
This bass sings.
Every note rings forever, with clear tones.
It's a dream to play, like my hands were measured before they designed it.

On the other hand, it's rather a lot more than I had planned on spending despite the fact that the shop only wants around 55% of MSRP.
So it's a steal, but if I'm going to go for it I need to put down a deposit ASAP before someone else with half a brain beats me to it.
Decisions...decisions...


Did I mention that my birthday is coming up soon?
More importantly, 2 days after that is my 30th Anniversary in the music business.
(Legally in the biz--my older friends would sneak me into clubs to play guitar long before I turned 18).

Even more importantly, although we don't remember the exact day to celebrate our first date, Sylvia and I have been together for 10 years.

A Triple Milestone Party?
Sounds Awesome!
Hope I get invited...

2 comments:

Dave said...

Yay and congrats on all items. That's a cute baby. And the child is pretty too.

Selma said...

sounds like a song is in there somewhere!! better get it, life is too short!I got a couple bucks.