Friday, January 03, 2014

What I Got For Christmas

(Besides tragedy, the resulting outpouring of love and hugs, and tons of distasteful tasks to accomplish, of course.)


I got gift cards, which are awesome for people like me.
What I thought I wanted was a scope for my Mauser project and a harddrive to fix my PC, but I realized that those items can wait compared to more pressing concerns.

While I don't make New Year's Resolutions, I've been planning on giving up smoking for awhile. Not only has it gotten extremely inconvenient, expensive, and just plain gross, I also decided after my brother's recent health problems that getting very old is a worthy goal. Especially when you're the last of your family.

So on January first I bought a pair of vaporizers, with one shown on the left:


I'm sure to go into depth on this later, but the main point is to stop inhaling proven evil ASAP and worry about quitting nicotine at a later date. So far, so good.


On the right is the little camera that arrived today in a BIG box.
While surfing WalMart's website I stumbled upon this tiny Vivitar 787HD.

While on our trip to Lake Tahoe last March, I found myself wishing I owned or had borrowed a GoPro Hero, especially when we went snowmobiling. GoPro pretty much owns the HD Action Camcorder category, and deservedly so. But they are expensive, especially for someone like me who isn't sporty very often.
The Vivitar usually comes with the waterproof housing and a wireless remote plus a couple of basic mounting options, but WalMart had it in a bundle with every mounting option possible for a ridiculously low price. It shoots full 1080p HD video at 30fps and 12mp stills.
It's never going to compete with GoPro for hard serious usage, but if it lasts through our next trip I'll consider it a success.

There's no way I was going to risk my phone or the F828 to shoot video while riding a jetski or zipline, but this little thing can do the job and the whole bundle was about 1/8th what a GoPro costs before you start adding mounting hardware.

And it's always fun to play with a new camera, and update media player codecs while you're at it.

No comments: