Sunday, January 21, 2007

Ice Storm

(Click on the photos to enlarge)
It's all over, but what a fun ride it was while it lasted!
The "Arctic Blast 2007" as our TV stations and newspaper called it was just a taste of what the rest of the country (and world) deal with every winter.
For San Antonians who usually only see such sights for a single night every fourth winter, this 3-day festival of freezing temps and precipitation ranged from magical to nightmare, depending on whether or not they had electricity and/or managed to avoid skidding their car into a wall.

The last time we had snow or ice, the photos I saw online were 90% snapshots of people's cars covered with the stuff.
Not very imaginative, but then again I went the same route because my car was one of the first things to grow icicles.
These first two were of little 'cicles hanging between my rear spoiler and trunk lid.
For the 2nd one I got in close for some mood lighting.

Being a night-photo freak, I nearly froze my fingertips off getting this shot. Balancing flash with ambient light while waiting for the perfect drip takes time, and I wear those gloves with exposed digits so I can push camera buttons.

After deciding I wanted to see more of what's inside an icicle, it wasn't hard to decide to break one off and bring it inside.
Upside-down in a tall shotglass with some creative lighting solutions, I got what I wanted before too much meltage.

The snow we were promised never made it to our sheltered suburban valley, but everything was covered in pretty ice for a few days.
I think my baby trees lived through it, and no large sections of our old trees fell, so it was a fun little winter adventure without any permanent damage.
Good Times.

No comments: