Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Duck Hunter

A little scene originally intended as part of a bigger project I hoped to work on this weekend.
It started as just a quick lighting test but I like it so much as-is that the other project is being reconcieved in a completely different direction.
The book is 'Birds Of America' Copyright 1917.
My copy was printed in 1936 by Doubleday & Co.
Full color plates were made from paintings by Louis Agassiz Fuertes.
Shotgun is a Harrington & Richardson 12gauge single shot that's so light it kicks like a mule.
Shells are modern Winchester SuperX.
Lantern was a free promotional item from Marlboro.

Here's a sepia-toned version that's more in tune with the vintage props, but I don't know if I like it better or not.


Lighting Info: Sunpak 383-Super manual flash with a grid pointing down at the page from 4 feet, on 1/8th power. Triggered by GI Cactus V2s radio system.
The grid focuses the light into a small circular area with less intensity and a smooth transition to darkness--I made the grid myself and it's proving to be a crucial part of accomplishing many of my flash ideas.

No comments: