Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Where Have I Been? In Bliss.

Literally, the band.
Figuratively, my new camera.

The unknown scares me sometimes, and all the research in the world can't replace concrete results under my particular operating conditions. It's a given that my new camera will kick ass when I'm walking around in the sunshine, but in a dark nightclub with variable light sources at variable distances...?

Let's just say that I'm really happy right now.

Under a tiny 12volt lamp that's the same as most older car's interior dome light, 200mm-e and 1/30th of a second handheld, both the image stabilization and iso1600 do a good job here. Noisy, but sharp.

At 27mm-e this is the most blatantly wide-angle shot I have ever taken.

Being forced to stay with 1/30 shutter speed was a bit of a let-down due to my two lenses being on the "slow" side, but it always worked artistically when a blurred drumstick was appropriate and again, having IS means that I get more sharp results to choose from.

There was an added bonus from the club showing a few of my older photos on a TV over the stage all night. Sometimes it helped my new shots, and it made me feel good.

The new camera is a real pleasure to use and I'm enjoying the heck out of trying to push the envelope whenever possible.
But believe it or not, after 10 days I haven't gone much past 300 exposures.
A 3-day trip to the hurricane-damaged Rio Grande Valley only yielded 28 photos, mostly indoor snapshots.
A lot of things are going through my head, but forcing myself to shoot art isn't among them.
I just take it as it comes.
BLISS results were a major concern that I can stop worrying about now, so I'll be moving-on to the next phase of experiments.
If I get even half as many 'keepers' I'll be happy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm Alisha from Wowzio, and I'm excited to tell you about our new widget platform that helps bloggers increase readership by providing engaging widgets containing your blog's rich content. You can check out widgets customized for your blog here:

Wowzio Widgets for your Blog

I wanted to reach out to you to ask for your feedback on these widgets (feel free to install them on your blog, if you feel they are a good fit). I'm sorry for leaving this message via a comment, it's not at all our intent to spam you ( which is why i'm leaving this comment on an older post and you can always remove this comment ). Again, we would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks,
Alisha Wright
alisha.wright1@gmail.com