Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Pearl Brewery Decorations

Finishing off the post before last, I followed the river to the Pearl Complex because I had heard that there were Christmas decorations for the first time since the restoration/re-purposing of the old brewery.

The tallest of the remaining buildings holds promise, but without a cherry-picker or very tall ladder it will have to wait.
A construction office, fence, and storage container kinda ruin the scene.
I do like the idea of a brewery on my Christmas cards, so maybe next year.

These next two are from the breezeway in the big building that contains most of the new activity.
I really like the lights above, and the ceiling fan below is by far the biggest I've ever seen in my life.



The former stables are a favorite building of mine.
Re-named the Lily Langtry Saloon for years, after Judge Roy Bean's mistress, it's available for events of all kinds.
I worked here twice back when the brewery was still in operation, and found that the bartenders could pull a draft beer like nobody else. Probably because they had been doing it for 40 years.
Charming old fellows!

I remember that we had several electrical issues the first time, which I tried to remedy on our next visit.
Everything went well until the Bride/Father dance.
She requested a certain Shania Twain song (on a CD) but halfway through their dance my mixing board suddenly went nuts with blinking lights I had never seen before, then shut off.
After a very quick re-sourcing of AC power (I was ready, just in case) we tried it again. Halfway through, same result.

I went to the bride and suggested that since they had danced for the total length of the song, albeit the first half twice, perhaps we could try moving along.

After that, everything worked perfectly!

My own theory, for what it's worth, is that the ghosts of the stable didn't approve of ultra-modern country music that sounds like Def Leppard. Or they just hate Canadian singers.
All I know is that there was no logical explanation for what happened, and I have never seen the same behavior from a mixing board in almost 30 years. The same unit worked fine for years afterwards.

1 comment:

Matthew Robertson said...

Just be happy it wasn't CĂ©line Dion. After playing the first half of 'My Heart Will Go On' twice, the board - and probably many of the guests - would have simply exploded. Much better this way.