Saturday, July 29, 2006

My Sensor Finally Died

(Click on the jacked-up photo to enlarge)
My beloved Sony F717 has finally died.
The CCD sensor was from the bad batch produced a few years ago, and after a couple months of random weirdness it went completely bad about 30 minutes ago.

And I'm totally OK with this!
Up until now, I have been worried that whatever was wrong might not be the sensor, and therefore not covered by Sony's free repair program.
At least now I'm sure of what's wrong, and also sure that the fix won't cost me a penny.
Sony has already been notified and is sending me a special shipping label with instructions on getting my camera to the repair facility that is here in Texas.

Coincidentally, today I received a badass new tripod for my birthday.
It'll be a few weeks before I get to really use it, but I'm OK with that, too.
My previous one was twenty years old, and a complete piece of junk.
This one has every feature I wanted, and after trying it out for a few minutes today I proclaim it to be a Titanium Dream.

I'll try to find older photos to post here while my camera is in the shop, and I also have a borrowed 2MP Sony Mavica that I can use, although it's a pretty poor substitute.


1 comment:

Bruce said...

Happy Birthday. Congratulations on the new tripod.