Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Overcast: Conquered

click to enlarge
As anyone can tell by looking through my archives, I'm not a fan of making photographs on overcast days.
Full sun gives better color, partly cloudy adds "sky drama", harsh shadows--to me--means added contrast and texture.
Stormy weather is wonderful.

Grey overcast has always meant....bleah.

But this image had such strong compositional elements that I let it sit onscreen for a couple of days before committing myself to the final version.
Every time I opened Photoshop I would take another stab at it, looking for the best edit I could make so I can actually enjoy looking at it, while remaining faithful to what the photo actually is before I started futzing with it.

Finally, I came up with a method that emphasizes the crappy light, making it work for the photo rather than against it.
Long ago I gave up on forcing an image to be something it isn't.
The difference now is that I'll keep at it rather than just give up and blame the light.

No comments: