Sunday, February 18, 2007

San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo 2007

The Rodeo visit this year was too much fun, and I got a huge batch of photos that I want to share. We were there for almost nine hours, and I'll be taking you through the day in strict chronological order as we enjoyed all of the sights and sounds and smells.

As always, please click on the little photos below to see them much bigger
This young bull (bulls have teats, too) was among the fine animals raised, shown and sold by high school kids hoping to earn scholarship money.
These youngsters work hard all year learning the fine points of animal care and the entire South Texas community shows support by purchasing their fine livestock both for food and breeding stock, and even pets.
This one showed a lot of personality, but also plenty of butthole which I thoughtfully cropped out.


The Auction raises huge amounts of cash that goes towards college tuition. One steer was sold for $104,000 this year.
When I first saw these shaved sheep I thought I was seeing goats with boots.
The light was dim, and getting a good white balance was very difficult since I accidentally left my home-made ExpoDisc™ at home.


A shot that updates one from last year. Please see the Feb. 2006 archives.


Now we're heading inside to see the vast amount of goods for sale. Everything from western clothes and hats to jewelry and home decor is for sale, and the prices aren't what I would call attractive. Renting space must cost a pretty penny. I liked the Aussie flavor that was prevalent, since there are probably more real live cowboys down-under today than there are in Texas.


A collection of little decorative castings that could grace your shelves if you had more money than sense. Very Texas-ish and worth a photo, though.


Do you think the vendor adjusted the apron like this on purpose?


Piglet Racing!!!
What's better than that?
Kids of all ages love it, and here's proof.

That's all for now.
Check back in a day or two for a bunch of photos taken as day turned into night and the cold turned even more bitter.

No comments: