Thursday, July 26, 2007

Night Of The Living Snails

For some reason these big snails don't live in my neighborhood, but I know where to find them.
While this one was munching on a fallen hibiscus blossom, I was munching on trout.

Jump!
It was too dark to go without using flash, and I prefer the way these look over sunlight any day.

My favorite, a portrait of a snail on a blue trash bin.

I guess I'm lucky we don't have these things eating our plants, but I do enjoy hanging out with them and taking their pictures.

2 comments:

Matthew said...

Wow. That second picture of the snail on the trash can looks as if it was shot in studio. Amazing.

Keith Alan K said...

Strobist technique is like that, although only a few of us do macro critters.
The sun wasn't quite down yet, but by using flash I had total control over the background and could drop it to black using a fast shutter, plus keep DOF (F6.3 if I recall).
I might never shoot a macro without flash ever again. To hell with flashlights.