Monday, March 05, 2007

Lunar Eclipse

I was at a wedding reception as the moon rose on Saturday night already fully shadowed by the earth. (2007 is a rare year that will feature another total lunar eclipse if you missed this one)
My tripod was in the trunk of car #1 so I slipped out of the reception hall and set it up in the parking lot as the eclipse finished up, fighting the low-level clouds that threatened to obscure.



As an added bonus just for the newlyweds, a while later I shot this photo of the now-free-from-shadow moon rising over the church where the ceremony took place.
Bracing my F717 against the tailgate of a typical big-ass Texas pickup truck I managed to hold it steady enough during the 2-second exposure to get this shot.
I'm going to print an 8x10" for the bride and groom to show them what was going on in the heavens during their wedding reception, featuring the church steeple under which they took their vows.
Hope they like it.

The distant ring around the moon is a subtle feature that had better show up in the print, or I'll be pissed.

No comments: